History of Pembroke
No set office hours
Call for Appointment
585-599-4892 Ext. 30
Town of Pembroke (A Mini-History)
Pembroke or O-a-geh (On the Road) as the Indians referred to it, is located in Township 12, Ranges 3 & 4 of the Holland Purchase, and was named for Pembroke in Wales. It was set off from the Town of Batavia, June 8, 1812 and originally contained the whole of Darien and a small part of Alabama. The northern section was part of the Tonawanda Indian Reservation.
The population centers of Corfu (Long's Corners), Pembroke (Richville), East Pembroke (Ellicott Mills), Indian Falls (Tonawanda Falls) and North Pembroke (Mogadore) are located along the Tonawanda and Murder Creeks which are the main waterways crossing the town. Airville, Prospect Hill/Papermill and Pembroke Center were small early settlements.
Pembroke today is a heavily traveled area with four major highways, Routes 5, 33, 77 and the New York State Thruway passing through its borders. Exit 48A opens the town to Interstate 90. The advantages of its location are its accessibility to Rochester and Buffalo. Once mostly a farming area it is fast becoming a bedroom community for people who work in neighboring cities.